Saturday 12 April 2014

Lost and Found



Back then, I was lost. I didn't know what I was doing, didn't know what I was looking for. Hell, I probably didn't even know that I was looking. I was in a pretty bad way, I can tell you. But then... well. Then I found Her. Or, perhaps She found me.

I was in Vegas at the time, I think. Maybe it was LA, I don't know. I was always moving, and most days I woke up not knowing what city I was in, let alone what state. I would stumble from one party to the next, flirting with everyone in sight and getting blackout drunk, waking up the next day in some stranger's bed. The hangovers were terrible, so I smoked or shot up until they went away, then got dolled up again to hitch a ride to the next party. Looking back, with the amount of strange cars and beds that I was hopping into, I’m surprised I wasn’t kidnapped or killed. There are only a couple things I remember with any clarity, all the rest is a blur. Things like standing on the beach in a stupid grass skirt, the smell of bile filling my nose. Some jerkwad, I didn’t even know his name, had puked down my top while he was perving on me, and I could feel the warmth oozing down my ribs. Or like sleeping with a lawyer in his penthouse apartment. He was crying the next morning, telling some woman how much he loved her and how sorry he was. There was a picture by the bed of him and a little girl. I hadn’t noticed the wedding ring, but if I had I wonder if I would have done anything different. I remember seeing myself in a mirror – at the hollows beneath my eyes, my cracked lips. I could feel my ribs sticking out and the needle tracks on my thighs, and I hated it. I looked at myself and all I could feel was this overwhelming hatred and disgust. I tried so hard to drown that memory.

The point is, I don't know where I was when it happened, which is funny, because I remember everything else about that night with such clarity. It would have been around 2am, because it was still dark and all the parties were in full swing. I'd left whatever shithole I'd been trying to pick up in because of a splitting headache, probably because I hadn't managed to bum any smokes or booze from anyone. Despite not having anything to drink my head was spinning, and nausea would come over me in waves. My stomach was cramping like a bitch, but maybe that was 'cause I hadn't eaten in two days. I started stumbling down this skanky little alley, the kind of place you wouldn't want to walk in, even in daylight. So I'm tripping over garbage and trying not to throw up, and as if that's not enough it started pissing down with rain. So I'm swearing and shivering and generally feeling sorry for myself, when I hear someone say my name. 

"Genevieve." Just like that. Not 'Gen', not 'Vivi or 'slut', but Genevieve. I hadn't heard someone say my name like that in a long time. I turn around and there's this tiny blonde girl behind me, peeking out from some huge iron doorway. In the haze of the rain and the dirty streetlights her pale skin glowed from within, and I might have mistaken her for an angel was it not for the nose ring and hotpants. Back then I would have gone with anyone who could give me a drink or a needle full of something good, but with her it was different. I felt drawn to her, as if there was some sort of invisible string tying us together, tugging on me. She smiled as I walked to her. A real smile, not wanting anything from me, just smiling for the sheer joy of it. The sound of the rain and the blaring traffic cut off as the door shut behind me, but that didn't concern me. Somehow I knew that I would be safe with her. She led me down this dinky little staircase into some sort of underground club. The lights were low and warm, just like the music, and the hubbub of gentle conversation filled the air. There was a throng of people, all packed into couches and around tables in that one room, yet it didn't feel crowded. I can’t explain it, but... It felt right.

“Hey Angel!” A tattooed man with electric pink hair waved us over. “Georgie just got done with a new batch of stout, you gotta try it.” Georgie, a guy with dreadlocks, was walking around with a keg of homebrew. The tattooed man looked at me and smiled, a relaxed grin of mismatched gold and silver. “You stick with Angel, little lady. She’ll steer you right.” A middle-aged woman in a pantsuit called out to us from another table, inviting us to play dominoes with her and a young vicar. As we walked through the room people kept calling out to her and, to my surprise, me.
“Her name’s not really Angel, you know. We just call her that.” The little boy showed me a card trick as he spoke, his grizzled mentor looking on in pride. Everyone - priests and gangers and hippies and suits, young and old and from all over the place – everyone was just chatting and drinking, playing games, debating and making out, laughing and signing. They all greeted us, carefree and cheerful, so far removed from the desperate drinking and frenzied fucking going on outside. I couldn’t understand how all these different people could be so relaxed and comfortable. When I asked the girl, she just looked at them all with this beatific smile on their face.
“These are the people who have found God.” She says. “As will you, when you are ready. Go through there, She’s been waiting for you.” She points to the back wall, to a doorway strung with red beads. I turned to ask her more, but before I can speak she kisses me on the cheek and slips away, joining an elderly gay couple and a biker in their game of rummy. I pushed through the curtain.

 All the lights were tinged with red, giving everything this deep blush. Every surface was draped with iridescent satin, making it feel comfortable and sexy at the same time. I saw something move out of the corner of my eye, and that's when I saw Her. She took my breath away. All the sound - the music and laughter from behind me – it all just faded to a muted hum. The colours in the room disappeared, all I could see was Her. She was sitting on this low-slung couch, barefoot and ankles crossed. She had this sleeveless red gown slit to the hip, with a flared collar and a hood that obscured Her face. The sheer fabric clung to Her in all the right places, highlighting the curve of Her bust and Her slender waist. Her limbs were long and shapely, elegant but still deliciously curvy, with fingers and toes ending in jewelled points. I stared dumbstruck. She was curvy and lush and jaw-droppingly sexy, so calm and comfortable in her own skin, something I’d never been. Then She spoke, and I nearly lost my mind. Her voice was rich and sweet like molten chocolate, and it surged and echoed like the ocean as it washed over me. As it thrummed through my body the swirls and shadows dropped from my eyes, and for the first time in forever my mind was crystal clear, unclouded by drugs. She stood and walked over to me, I could see that her skin was actually a deep, blood-red crimson.
“Genevieve. It’s good to see you.” She leant forward and planted a kiss on my forehead. The feeling of her lips remained burned into my skin, warmth spreading until it engulfed me utterly. The pain faded from my limbs, and the utter relief made me dizzy. She beckoned, and I sat across from Her, sinking gratefully into a bean bag. She pulled back Her hood and I was dumbstruck. She had long, jet black hair, and two golden horns that bent in the shape of a halo above Her head. What I'd taken for jewels on Her fingers and toes were actually gleaming claws.

We talked for a bit, but how are you supposed to make small talk with God? I mean, God’s supposed to see all and know all, right? But she asked me about my life, and seemed genuinely interested, laughing and groaning in all the right parts. I’d never had someone so genuinely interested in me, they only listened when they wanted in my pants. I kept sneaking looks at her, so very different to what I had expected.
"Surprised? You thought God would be an old man on a cloud, I suppose. Most do." Her chuckle was throaty and warm. "Let me ask you something, though. How could a crotchety old man ever dream up something as fascinating and devilishly complex as a woman?" She smiles cheekily at this, and then leans forward. "But then again, how could a woman ever think of something as wonderful and mysterious as a man?" As She spoke Her voice deepened and Her curves disappeared, to be replaced with the hard planes of His body. "I made you in my image," He says, smiling kindly. "I am woman, and I am man, both and neither at the same time, and you are all of you facets of me, and also so much more." Now it seems like He is something otherworldly, a silhouette of burning, incandescent energy, coalescing with a thunderclap back into Her sexy curves. "But this is more comfortable, at least for now."

"You know, a lot of people are angry with me. They ask why there is so much evil in the world, so much suffering. If I'm so all-powerful, why don't I do something about it? They make all these excuses for me, about 'free will', or 'working in mysterious ways', but that's just crap. It's really simple, actually. I'm not all powerful. I didn't make the world in seven days and seven nights, I didn't coalesce the stars out of space dust. All I did was drag you kicking and screaming from my own imperfection, and all I can do now is try to keep you from being dicks to each other." She smiles ruefully. "You can see how good a job I'm doing. Now you know. Is it disappointing, to have such an imperfect God? Maybe. Some people can't handle it. Some people call me the devil, as if your angels weren't cold copies of me. But this is all I can do. All I can do is reach out to whoever will have me." I felt... detached, cold, unfeeling. It was hard to believe anything, take anything in. I asked Her why. Why did she keep reaching out to us? Why didn't she leave us alone? Why was she still trying, when we are so obviously broken? Do you know what she said to me?

"Because I love you. I love all of you. It kills me, what you do sometimes. You kill and you lie and you steal, you hurt yourselves all the time. But you are my children, and I love you so so much." Then it's like a dam broke in me. Here was this gorgeous, sexy creature looking like nothing more than the Devil, but speaking only of forgiveness and love. I cried, I cried and cried, and She just took me in her arms and rocked me until I fell into a deep sleep. 

When I woke up I was wrapped in a red blanket. She was gone, as was everyone else. I walked through the basement, empty of anything but dust and cobwebs. I went up the stairs and left, and as I walked through that disgusting alley the sun broke from the horizon and bathed me in golden warmth. So maybe She was God and maybe She wasn't. You have no idea how many times I've wondered about that night, thinking maybe it was just a dream, a hallucination from all the crap I'd been putting myself through. But from that day onwards, whenever things got difficult, whenever things seemed hopeless - I always remembered that night, the warmth and comfort I felt, and I know that I am loved.


2 comments:

  1. The prose is good and I was interested up until the tilt. Overall the story was a bit purple and wordy - self indulgent.

    I skipped a lot near the end because not only was the tilt predictable (which can be good because people do like to hear the obvious confirmed sometimes) it was also too wordy in the wind down - once the mystery is revealed no one really cares that much what comes next. The interesting part of the story becomes about the mystery, not the personal journey of the woman (we know the resolution to that before we start the story anyway because she says she 'used to' be this way) and once the mystery is resolved, the rest seems a bit like you up on a soap box about your ideas and/or beliefs - a lot of short stories end on the tilt or revelation. My advice would be to describe the woman before making the revelation if you wanted to get that all out before people get bored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback! I definitely see what you mean about it being very preachy. This was meant, more so than others, for one particular person, and I got carried away with trying to get across a message that was just primarily my own response to a set of assumptions I'd made.
      Something I'm going to be on the watch for in the future.

      Delete