Thursday 5 September 2013

September 4 - Brush with Death



It’s been a long day. The bloody neighbour was drilling something at 5am, and not even I could sleep through that. The hot water heater broke down at some point, so halfway through my shower it went ice cold and stayed that way. Some idiot had flipped his car over on the highway, so I was stuck for ages in traffic. I could see the guy sitting on the kerb, orange fake tan unmarred by his close call. He had this stupid grin on his face as he was being interviewed, like it would all blow over if he was suave enough. The rest of the day went pretty much like any other, work is work no matter the day. Except this time three of the temps called in sick, so I had to put in an extra hour. After ten hours of work and another in traffic I’m finally walking up my garden path. I let myself in the door, and throw my jacket and keys on the entry table. I glance into the kitchen, nothing in there but a stack of dishes I haven’t gotten around to washing and an empty fridge. I really need to go shopping. Right now, though, I couldn’t be assed. I call for takeout Chinese and eat it in front of the TV. I throw the rubbish and the bin and put my feet up. Soon my eyes are drooping despite the incessant noise and flashing. I fall asleep.

I jerk awake. My mouth is dry and papery and there’s a crick in my neck from the odd angle. The TV, having detected no movement for a while, has turned itself off, leaving the room dark except for the thin strips of streetlight that filter in through the blinds. I feel something wet on my shoulder, and when I flick the light on I see it’s a huge splodge of drool. I strip off the shirt and throw it in the laundry hamper, then head to the bathroom to brush my teeth before I crash. The neighbourhood is quiet except for the occasional faraway whisper of a car on the main road. The house feels too large, full of black empty spaces that push in on my tiled little island of light. The mirror shows me dark bags under my eyes. The sound of my toothbrush fills my ears. I brush for ten minutes, making sure to get every nook and cranny of every tooth. Dental hygiene was drilled into me when I was small, and it stuck no matter what I do. I go to rinse my mouth, but it’s as if my vision is blurred. No, not blur, but fog. Thick ropy tendrils pour through the doorway like smoke, filling up this tiny space. The hairs on the back of my neck prickle, and though the air doesn’t move I feel as if a cold breeze  is blowing around my head. The fog gets thicker and thicker, now roiling and thrashing not two metres away. The sink presses cold and hard into my back. A skeletal hand reaches out of the fog towards me.

I scramble backwards, flailing arms sending bottles clattering to the floor. A figure appears out of the mist. It must be walking, but for all the world it looks like it materialised out of the fog. It’s tall, so much taller than me, clad in a tattered black cloak. Its face is hidden by a deep cowl that seems to draw the light from the air, the light dims and flickers. From the mist it draws a huge scythe, curved and wickedly sharp. No no no! I don’t believe this. There is no grim reaper come to collect your soul when your time runs out, I don’t believe. But my heart is beating painfully fast in my chest, and I hear my own soft whimpering. Its hand reaches into the robe, and brings out an hourglass. For a brief moment I’m captivated by its stunning detail, tiny figures meticulously etched into bleached bone, fine sand dribbling from one crystal chamber to the other. Then I realise what it is, and I shiver all the more. Its hand reaches up to the cowl, and in one motion throws it back, revealing the terrible grinning visage of a human skull. Its eyes seem to draw mine, though fear claws at my belly when I even look in its direction. It towers over me, drawing the warmth and light out of the room. The light is so dim now, soon to be extinguished like my own life. The tiles are frigid against my bare skin. The last grains of sand settle to the bottom of the hourglass. The hand reaches out, snagging my neck and dragging me to my feet. Empty sockets stare into me, the scythe blade arcs back, and I close my eyes.
I open them again as I am set on my feet. The scythe is resting against the shower rail, and the skull faces me expectantly. A skeletal hand flips the hourglass and taps it a couple times, bone clicking on bone. From some fold in its robe the figure pulls out something bright green and bristly. It points at the toothbrush still clenched in my hand, and holds up its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment