Monday 10 March 2014

2011 Retrospective - Tenderness (Spaghetti II)



Everything’s better with butter. The onions sizzle, slowly turning translucent, then golden brown. The aroma of sautéed onion and garlic fills the air, wafting up from the old copper-bottomed pot. I love that smell, and the ones that follow. Rosemary, oregano, thyme; all go into the pot and add their flavours to the air. My wife and I have been going through a rough patch, these past few months. That’s why I’m doing this, I thought I would surprise her tonight on our 13th anniversary. She got cut up over the smallest thing, poor woman. I know this had been hard for her, soft and tender as she is. But everything is okay now, I’ve fixed everything. I smile through the delicious steam and attend to dinner.

I put the spaghetti on the boil and empty the tins of tomato into the pot. The cut edges of the can threaten me, but I manage to avoid bodily harm. There is danger here, in this kitchen of mine. With so much heat and so many sharp implements, it’s a wonder I’ve survived this long. The white scars on my hands spin the tale of many near misses. But I am long accustomed to the menace of this place. The kitchen is my domain, and after long experience the knives have become trusted companions.

My hands fly over the chopping board, neatly slicing zucchini, carrot and silverbeet, flicking them into the simmering red sauce one after the other. This was the first thing I cooked for her, when I coaxed her to my house all those years ago. As soon as I saw her, her smooth long legs, delicate arms and the graceful curve of her back; I knew I had to make her mine. Cooking was my weapon then, as it is now. I take a leg from the fridge and lay it on the bench before me. Surely this is the finest piece of meat I have ever seen. The skin parts from it with ridiculous ease and before I know it bite sized chunks simmer contentedly in the sauce.

I drain the spaghetti in the sink, setting it on the table next to the finished sauce and the salad bowl. A plate from the cupboard, a fork from the drawer, a single place at the table. I settle down with a sigh, spearing a mouthful on my fork. I breathe in the smell of it, then savour  the flesh melting on my tongue. I think this might just be the best thing I’ve ever tasted. We’ve been through quite a bit together, her and I. We’ve carried each other through sickness, floods and grief. Even when we were fighting, when the rage hot so hot I felt like I would explode and lash out with all my fury, not a day went by that I didn’t love her more. My lovely, tender wife. I put the leftovers in the fridge next to her other leg, her torso and her head, all neatly wrapped and labelled. 

I love my wife. She’s delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment